Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread

I preface this recipe with this disclaimer: I am not a fantastic baker. I have not even mastered the bread machine. But I did master this recipe. 

Our gardening season is coming to a close. We have a few cold weather crops in the ground: beets, lettuce, chard, beans, broccoli and brussel sprouts. However, I will miss my summer bounty of eggplant, heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, squash (those not ravaged by squash borers), and peppers. The last of the zucchini was shredded, and some was frozen and some was baked into a few delicious loaves of bread. I got fancy on this endeavor and substituted sour cream for oil, and got a moist cake-like result. Note that I prefer my zucchini bread without chocolate chips or nuts or raisins. 

Ingredients:

6 eggs
1 cup of honey
1 cup of packed brown sugar (I used SPLENDA's brown sugar blend)
1/2 heaping cup of sour cream
1 TSP vanilla
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
2 TBSP cinnamon
2 TSP baking powder
2 TSP baking soda
2 TSP salt
4 cups grated zucchini
2 9x5 greased bread pans or 3 8x4 greased bread pans

Optional 1 Cup Add Ins:
Raisins
Walnuts
Chocolate Chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, honey, sugar, vanilla, and sour cream and whisk until smooth. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda/powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir with a fork so there are surprise pockets of salt or soda or cinnamon. 

Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients while beating at a med-high speed. When mixture is uniform, fold in the zucchini and any of your add-ins, then integrate until mixture is uniform again. Divide the dough evenly between your greased pans. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or to the point where you can poke the bread with a fork/toothpick and it comes out clean. 

This bread was so moist. I wanted to make some sour cream frosting for the top, but my dear husband declared that would be too adulterous. He took one of the loaves for breakfast and it served him for a whole week. He declared it the best zucchini bread he's eaten-- but don't tell my mother in law that! 

I would be curious to see if you could use this same recipe but substitute shredded apples or shredded carrots. I think the carrots would work as they are of a similar PH to zucchini, but I anticipate some variances if using apples as they are more acidic than zucchinis. I am also curious to see if separating the egg whites and beating them until the peak, and then folding them in would change the texture. It was already quite fluffy and moist, but I can't help but wonder. . . . 



No comments:

Post a Comment